Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Thursday 22 August 2013

How to terrorise fleas

Look away now if you don't believe in harming small creatures.......

I've been bitten by a few things in my time, some human as well :)

There's a threshold for pain that is rather interesting demonstrated by varying decibels when screeching. I recently discovered the flea bite from those caramel-coloured little insects with a distinctive arched back. I was walking in the woods with the hound when suddenly I shrieked, yes, yelped loudly. A flea had attached itself onto my hand and was munching happily away - or rather sucking my blood. The hound looked alarmed and naturally trotted off. A nanosecond later the flea disembarked or to be truthful, was swotted to a pulp.

Some basic research on the net revealed all manner of chemical deterrents to ward off fleas as by then I was convinced the hound had become a host. Indeed a quick examination revealed ten happy-looking fleas all rather plump and hidden away in the hound's luxuriant fur.

I am pleased to say that the hound is flea-free a week later although he smells, well, somewhat continental. I juice raw garlic which I mix in with his food. The fleas have run screaming from the house and peace has been restored.

Full of useless information

Photo and painting (oil on canvas) copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment