Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Friday 31 March 2017

Potage de boeuf for when you're poorly

I was recently quite ill with some strange flu. Three days spent in bed feeling extremely sorry for myself but as always I tried to cure myself with food. I had organic beef in the freezer and I know that onions are good for lungs so I invented this potage. First I tossed the cubed beef in flour mixed with paprika then I added it to foaming hot butter. Loads of garlic, thyme, ginger (which is the perfect partner for beef), ton of chopped onions. Once onions were just brown at the edges, deglazed with large glug of dry white wine then a good grinding of pepper and salt, water to cover. I added lardons for extra flavour and another layer of taste and simmered for one hour. I did not render the lardons first as I find they keep their shape nicely and release their smoky flavour if they are added at this stage. After one hour I then added chunks of red pepper for extra colour and crunch. Simmered uncovered for ten minutes more and ready to eat. The end result was very tasty indeed. And you know what? I think it worked!

PS Anyone can cook if they follow basic principles of French cooking. Really not difficult!

Photo copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment