Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Saturday 22 December 2012

Simple and delicious

In the run-up to Christmas, when there is a tendency (understatement) to indulge, I like to keep my meals simple a few weeks beforehand. I'm not a particularly big eater but I do love to cook and eat - one of the things that makes me happiest is my evening meal. I love to prepare dinner whilst having a glass of wine. Laying the table and eating by candlelight just seems natural. As I do not own a TV I cannot fathom how people would eat watching TV with a meal on their laps. I still have an old-fashioned dining room.

Gurnard is one of the cheapest fish around - it is full of bones so takes a bit of practice to navigate the flesh away from the fiddly bits. The flavour is incomparable and well worth it- sweet, firm flesh that benefits from the lightest sprinkling of salt and pepper and a good knob of butter before roasting at 200 degrees for 30 minutes (for a whole small fish). I ate the Gurnard with a puree of cauliflower.

All the ingredients are seasonal- you may recall that I only eat what's available at the farm (or fishmonger).

Photo copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment