Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Sunday 10 November 2013

How to get away from it all

One of the signs of a calm and centered individual is the ability to sit perfectly still for long periods of time. Another sign is the ability to stand with both arms outstretched for several minutes and NOT feel the pain or simply ignore it altogether. Both of these 'tasks' require a balanced disposition. Sadly, all around me are fidgety people who I come across in all walks of life. It seems they are everywhere.

I remember a book that was given to me many years ago by a French friend who had a real affinity for India (ironically he gave me the book as a gift and two decades later came to visit, borrowed the book and I never saw it again. Like so many friendships, ours has disappeared into the mists of time). In the book there were stories of yogis sitting on the steps along the Ganges and as the water rose, they were oblivious to it.  I'm not recommending drowning yourself but why not try sitting so still that you can hear your heart beating?

Alternatively in order to escape those who can't, see the photo below.


Photo copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment