Friday, 10 May 2013

Looks ain't everything

Let's face it, the common slug is not exactly the Pierce Brosnan of the natural world and yet still he manages to get girlfriends and procreate en masse or  should that be 'ad nauseum' - in their lifetime one slug will produce millions of offspring. I'm still trying to figure out the usefulness of the slug - perhaps to aerate soil in the winter? I have no idea! Having been an avid organic vegetable gardener for many years, I can attest to losing 95% of my crops to slugs leaving a paltry 5% to keep me alive, which it turns out was more than enough. Organic farming is incredibly difficult, time-consuming and soul destroying. We should honour the farmers who, well, slug it out to produce food on our behalf.

PS Chickens find slugs very tasty and will swallow them alive.

Photo copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment