Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Saturday 11 May 2013

The Russian Doll that is life

Tis the season for cutting trees down, felling perfectly healthy trees for the sake of it. Sadly, many a tree surgeon is dishonest to the core often preying on townies who do not know their beech from their oak, and convincing them that a tree is diseased and needs to be felled. Bringing a magnificent tree down can earn a tree surgeon upwards of £2,000- a very good living indeed.

So all around me I am encountering the formerly proud sentinels of the natural world sawn in half and condemned forever more as stumps on a grassy verge.

These  photos are of two such stumps- one shows the regular pattern of rings that would indicate the age of the tree- in this case a Scots Fir- and the other is of separate tree- and also a Scots Fir. The rings in the second photograph are unusual and show rings within rings. I am experiencing a similar phenomenon in my own life: rather than accepting the face value of a certain situation, I am being guided to uncover the story within the story. And believe me, there is always more than meets the eye.

Photos copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment